Ron obtained his BSc Physio degree in 1985 in Utrecht, The Netherlands and moved to South Africa in 1989.
He spent 2 years training at Baragwanath Hospital and the Soweto Clinics, during which he obtained his post-grad Orthopaedic Manipulative Therapy (OMT 1) Diploma from Wits University. He has completed the coursework for MPhil Sports Physio at UCT (thesis pending). He also hold the FIFA diploma in Football Medicine.
Selected appointments and affiliations include:
- Co-founder and Chairman of the PSL Medical Group
- Contracts with various PSL and international Football teams
- FIFA-appointed work at special events (2007 FIFA Match for Mandela’s 89th birthday; 2009 ConFed Cup; 2010 World Cup)
- Presentations and lectures at various South African Sports Medicine Association (SASMA), American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and Premier Soccer League (PSL) conferences
- Interviews and guest appearances on radio and television shows; guest column in magazines
- Accreditation by SASMA (South African Sports Medicine Association)
Professional involvement as a physiotherapist in various sports to date include:
- Windsurfing: Dutch Olympic Windsurfing Team
- Rugby: Pirates Rugby Club, St Stithians School teams and Easter Sports Festivals
- Athletics: SA National Championships
- Endurance sports: Cycling, running and triathlon
- Soccer: Head physiotherapist to Moroka Swallows FC, Mamelodi Sundowns FC, The Kenyan National Football team, Bidvest Wits FC, Mpumalanga Black Aces and several FIFA and SAFA events